Wednesday, April 6, 2011

what is opinion, what is truth, what is good, what is popular

Freddie Deboer, requoted by Andrew Sullivan (re-requoted by me):

I worry about the urge towards conformity. I worry about Twitter. I worry that all of those retweets and all of those "right on"s contribute to a kind of coarse postmodernism, where what the truth becomes what is most agreed on. I worry that dissent is confused with a lack of etiquette. And I particularly worry about the echo chamber effect, and the way that small groups of people who are just like each other can come to think of themselves as representing the opinions of everyone.

I'm thinking of a reply post to Tracy's "music machine" (http://bighipsopeneyes.blogspot.com/2011/04/music-machine.html), about changing tastes (through time, through our lives) and why we devalue things in our past. Whether music that is loved is good by definition. Whether someone (anyone, even a music connoisseur) is justified in throwing someone else's CD out the window.

Stay tuned... 

No comments:

Post a Comment